Skip to main content

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY


 I received my last Valentine day’s present eons ago but it was definitely the best I’ve ever had in all of my life.

The doorbell that sounded like a broken carillon rung at around 2pm. He was standing at the door with his left hand hidden behind his back.
What was he hiding from me? Was it a bunch of flowers? Maybe they were the plastic variety that grows in DIY stores, like the ones he had given me a couple of years earlier and had made me lough so much, or was it a pot of yellow miniature roses, like the ones still timidly growing on my window sill? Not it was it the Japanese cake from Piccadilly Circus. I was trying to guess when suddenly an unnatural looking green stem with some red lacy petals on top materialized in front of me. I took the rose and jokingly put it under my nose, it had a strong and tacky smell, and thanked him. He smiled. I knew there was something else I wasn’t getting.  What was the joke? ‘Thank you’ I said ‘ I didn’t expect a present this year. We have broken up. You know. Don’t you?’ ‘Oh, I couldn’t resist’ he said with nonchalance  ‘such a brilliant present’ he added with a smile on his face. I looked at the rose again.  Slender, dark red, like those bleeding valentine hearts draped everywhere in town for about a week climaxing the arrival of 14th February− inside restaurants, on napkins, in flower shops, on London’s buses adverts. 

Him and I never really bothered with Valentine’s Day, we were not the type to sit at a crowded restaurant surrounded by fake and sugary faces playing the ‘romance game’ every year. Oh no! Not us. But although we didn’t want to play the game we didn’t want to be totally left out, so we made our own rules and played our own game. After all a silly game cries out for silly presents and my ex had the knack for finding the most brilliant valentine’s presents in town.
Deep down I was happy that he had thought of me now that we were no longer an item. I wasn’t having second thoughts about splitting up (was I?) Oh no! but I had no doubt in my mind that I would never find someone with the same gift as him. After all he was a one off in everything.  Incredibly clever, a PhD dropout with an insatiable thirst for anything dangerous.
‘You might as well tell me. I am never going to guess’ I said while putting the kettle on. ‘Pull it’ he said ‘pull the petals’ and so I did. The lace, all rolled up in one piece, unfolded, and a pair of nickers took shape in front of me.
Wow I thought. This to my eyes was the most perfect of all Valentine’s presents. The true honest summery of what Valentine’s Day is all about.  Call me a romantic, if you wish, but I don’t think anyone is ever going to bit him on that one…and on many other things for all that matters.  
Today, while I am sitting here on my own writing my blog and eating roasted chicken from Budgens with my hands−I am having my flat redecorated and I can’t find anything not even knives and forks−I am thinking of the times when there was still romance in my life. So wherever you are I want to make a toast. You might have not been the perfect boyfriend but you were certainly the funniest one and as you know that has always been my weakest point.  Mimicking Richard III, I say: 'A laugh! A laugh! My kingdom for a laugh!'
Happy Valentine’s Day, everybody.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SEI SICURO CHE SAI DA DOVE VIENI?

Non so se vi sia mai venuto in mente di farvi il profilo del vostro DNA, se è nella lista delle cose da fare prima di non so quale compleanno o se non ve lo sognate neanche. Io s ì. Era una di quelle cose che avevo in mente da anni, e allettata da un’offerta speciale, finalmente, ho preso la palla al balzo, ed eccomi qui, sbalordita, sorpresa e stupefatta! Ovviamente   l’unica cosa su cui non avevo nessun dubbio era di appartenere alla variegata tribù europea. Se dal mio DNA fosse risultato il contrario, che i miei antenati venivano, chess ò ,   dal Giappone o dalla Cina mi sarei sorpresa parecchio. Ma mettendo da parte, come assurda, questa eventualità, i risultati non sono stati meno sorprendenti. Prima comincerò con   l’illustrarvi le mie aspettative. In parole povere, erano queste: Europa meridionale e bacino Mediterraneo, chilometro più chilometro meno. Sono siciliana, e pensavo che il posto in cui il mio DNA fosse più diffuso era la ...

ASTRID AND THOR ARE BACK

PART TWO   Astrid wasn’t working anymore. Work was a thing of the past; from 2066 the global workforce had been reduced to 2%. All factories − magicians hats, as they were now called − grew underground hidden by lawns and meadows, buried under hills, so that we could count daisies and look at clovers. Thor and Astrid were relaxing after a night picnic of fruit based meals and drinks for a total calories vitamins ratio of 1/100: a vitamin intake sufficient for the next seven days. Astrid was studying ‘history in the final year of capitalism and the collapse of the last empire’. She yawned thinking how oppressive work must have been, and tried to picture herself getting out of bed every morning even when it was raining but she really couldn’t.  How lucky she was to have been born after the collapse of society, as they knew it. Of course not everything was perfect, it still rained but rain was nice if you could sit in your glass-bubble roof terrace and sip tea. In a...
TI E' PASSATA LA VOGLIA DI SCRIVERE? leggi questo articolo e ti ritornerà  https://scribacchiniinfuga.wordpress.com/2016/12/15/ti-e-passata-la-voglia-di-scrivere-leggi-questo-articolo-e-ti-ritornera/