Skip to main content

God's Thoughts (Oh là là)

I wake up in the morning

my dad is smoking in his room before going out to work

I can smell tobacco and weed

he slams the door

the sun is behind the clouds, it's cold.

I go downstairs

the kitchen is empty

there is only me.


I make a cup of tea and I burn a toast

I put another slice in the toaster

the first ray of sunlight touches the sink

it's dirty: the sink not the sunlight.


Dishes pile up for days till the weekend when my dad screams and shouts because, he says, I do
nothing. The sun ray shrinks back, behind the clouds. I spread a layer of peanut butter and one of jam on top. My toast is mustard yellow and purple like my old school uniform —a purple jacket with yellow piping. I am a young man now. I go to college: a bedlam of walking problems like myself, you can't even blame anyone for it, you just have to take it out on someone else. It's just the way it is.

I leave the house with my toast in my left hand

I cross the park

walk on the muddy grass till I reach the opposite side of the common

No one looks or talks to me

I no longer exist I have became a ghost and so has dad.


Now that it's just me and him in the house I never see him. All I hear is screaming, coughing or
swearing behind his closed door. I'd like to leave but I don't know where to go.
I could no longer stand the sight of the empty kitchen with its tower of dishes and the ciggy butts in
the sink so I decided to write a blog, not just any blog but the blog of god: the creator, Zeus, Odin,
Jupiter. I don't know how to call it; there have been so many! Greek, Roman, Viking,
Celtic gods. They are all dead now. I think that's only fair, no one lives forever, not even mums.
When I started writing my blog something strange happened. I don't know how but I could find
answers to all my questions. God talked through me, the answers came into my ears as if dictated
by someone else and that's why I decided to call it 'God's thoughts'.


Now my life has changed

I wake up early in the morning

I leave home and although no one looks at me I am no longer a ghost.


At college they asked me to fill in a questionnaire with lots of strange questions but instead of
answering with my own words, like I would have done in the past, I answered it with god's
thoughts. The teachers looked at me, they were impressed. I could tell.
My dad know nothing. I heard a woman's voice laughing behind his door the other day; it's the first
time since SHE left. I immediately went to my desk, I opened my laptop and here are god's words.

“Get on with your work, stop complaining. Look at the stars, how long did you think it took me to

make them, a week? Bullshit, It took me billions of years. And do you think I did it by myself? No,

that old devil helped me, what's his name? and by the way stop blaming him for all the horrible

things you do down there, he is not as bad as you think.”

The words would just flow out of my fingers, like in a science fiction movie, then into the keyboard
up the screen and into little cute letters. The only weird thing is that they were all of different
colours. I mean each letter: blue, red, yellow. I know you don't believe me but I swear it's true.


In my science coursework I answered with gods's words again. The title was: Explain why dinosaurs 
became extinct 65 millions years ago. This is what I wrote:

Coursework

“Oh là là! I made a mistake. MISTAKE you heard me. As for the omnipotent, wait a minute, have

you had a look around? Meteorites, tsunamis, explosions, earthquakes and...the dinosaurs. That


probably was the biggest mistakes of all, apart from men of course (women, on the contrary, were a

great success of mine. I am so proud of them). What can I say in my defence? ...Let's say that I was

practising. Not bad for a horror movie though, have you seen how many directors have copied me

so far?”


“Oh là là” is what my French teacher always says. I like the sound of it and so does god. As you
well know he speaks all languages.
And it was at that point that my teachers wrote to my dad a letter. It slipped through the slot one
morning and lay on the floor with the rest of the correspondence.
When I came back from college my dad was standing up next to the sink with the letter in his
hands.

‘What happened at college?’ he said

I stopped and looked at him. I hadn't seen him for weeks. As I said before, I only hear his voice behind 
his bedroom door. He had put some weight on and his receding line had gone up half an inch. He was
wearing new clothes, they suited him.

‘It's about my science coursework’ I said, ‘I don't think they liked it’

‘What was it about?’ he said

‘Dinosaurs’ I said and climbed up the stairs, went into my room and shut the door behind me.

The pale ray of sunlight, that was gently touching the kitchen sink in the morning, was now
illuminating my computer screen with all the strength of a thousand spotlights. Without delays I
went to my desk and started hitting the keyboard like never before. For each key I hit
a note from Beethoven's Ninth Symphony came out. 

'Oh là là' I said.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TI E' PASSATA LA VOGLIA DI SCRIVERE? leggi questo articolo e ti ritornerà  https://scribacchiniinfuga.wordpress.com/2016/12/15/ti-e-passata-la-voglia-di-scrivere-leggi-questo-articolo-e-ti-ritornera/

Parmesan Cheese And The Aladdin's Lamp

Being a compulsive writer—in the sense that I write, I enjoy it and I can't stop doing it—I am convinced that our mind is 'the Aladdin's lamp'. All we have to do is tickle our brain and off we go: a puff of smoke containing every possible dream and desire comes out, ready to be unravelled in front of our very eyes. With a stroke of my hand i touch my Aladdin's lamp waiting for the genie to come out of my ears. It doesn't matter where I am, it can happen anytime, anywhere: while I am sitting on the bus, queing up at the supermarket, buying a sweater or chopping onions; not that I buy sweaters or chop onions that often. ...One night I found a big piece of cheese, perfectly sealed in its airtight plastic wrapper, on top of a letter box in Wimbledon. I recognized it immediately it was a gigantic piece, slice, chunk of Parmesan  glowing under the reddish-orange street light. How could anyone have missed it? Parmesan cheese under a spot light! It could have been ...

ASTRID AND THOR ARE BACK

PART TWO   Astrid wasn’t working anymore. Work was a thing of the past; from 2066 the global workforce had been reduced to 2%. All factories − magicians hats, as they were now called − grew underground hidden by lawns and meadows, buried under hills, so that we could count daisies and look at clovers. Thor and Astrid were relaxing after a night picnic of fruit based meals and drinks for a total calories vitamins ratio of 1/100: a vitamin intake sufficient for the next seven days. Astrid was studying ‘history in the final year of capitalism and the collapse of the last empire’. She yawned thinking how oppressive work must have been, and tried to picture herself getting out of bed every morning even when it was raining but she really couldn’t.  How lucky she was to have been born after the collapse of society, as they knew it. Of course not everything was perfect, it still rained but rain was nice if you could sit in your glass-bubble roof terrace and sip tea. In a...