Skip to main content

LIFE MAP



In 2013 I won a literary price ("La Lanterna Bianca") with a text, called "Life Map".  The original version was in English.  I've translated it into Italian. 

Translating your own work is not always easy and usually I tend to rewrite it by adding and changing parts of it. I hope you'll like it, if you do let me know which version you prefer.  Thanks. 



LIFE MAP

We all live by a map, a personal map; let's call it 'life map'. On this imaginary map everything stands, precariously positioned and carefully maneuvered at times. In my life map I stand right in the middle surrounded by beige paper that resembles the desert in winter (if there is such a thing, and may be there is); not far from me (a little red flag), joined by a winding road full of unforeseen bends and slopes, there is my job and at that precise point a black flag waves when the wind blows. Close to me (the red flag) there is a house, my house, crammed with things and people to the rim, but in reality there is only my lodger and I living there. The house is tiny and I live under the staircase, although in reality, that's not true, it's just my metaphorical way to describe the lack of space and privacy that I experience on a daily basis. Another thread links the red flag (me) with a far away house in a far away country and this thread seems to be getting thinner and thinner by the hour and will, one day, altogether disappear and that's what makes my map tremble and shake even when there is no wind and it isn't winter. On the top right corner there is a purple flag in the shape of a flower and a thick thread connects this flower with the red flag. This is my imagination post and contains all my papers: scripts short stories, long stories and it stands right next to the dream post (the azure flag) full of imaginary literary agents, critics, co-writers and producers –some of whom I've never spoken to, some have rang me but I've never answered while others are the sole fruit of my imagination and I hold regular conversations with them usually while in the bath tub.


I could always put new things on the map but people and friends are getting scarcer these days and I have little time but for my 'papers'. Once I thought that it would have been a good idea to place a little garden on my map, so I stabbed a little green flag onto the map and I traced the road that goes from my house to 'Waterlow Park' in Highgate. But whenever I go there my bench is always free, waiting for me and my papers and notebooks. Although to be fair, once there, I don't really write; I just jot down any idea that comes to trouble my mind and I spend the rest of the time looking at the birds and the trees, at their leaves moving and at the branches growing. What a lovely place, so conveniently placed between the ubiquitous Tesco (just across the road) and an old romantic café where one can buy tea and ice creams or even both, a perfect combination of the new with the old that works wonders. But this of course has nothing to do with my map. On its periphery my old friends stand, peeping into it but so far away that if you don't look closely enough you might confuse them with the remains of an old picture frame.


On the bottom left corner there are the ghosts of  'once upon a time' popular people and old lovers, their flags in tatters, and I know I should bin them but I've been postponing it for years and one day soon they will drop off of their own accord. I have never been too eager to manipulate and influence life's events one way or another and that's why my map is not finished yet and it's still uncompleted...but if you have a better one please tell me how you do it and I might even learn from you!


LIFE MAP

Questo non è un vero diario, come ci si aspetterebbe, ma è una mappa, è così che ho deciso di scriverlo. Qui non è il tempo a dettare legge ma lo spazio. I miei punti di riferimento non saranno gli eventi ma i miei pensieri. Che differenza fa? Nessuna, cambia solo la chiave di lettura, non saprete mai cosa abbia fatto ma solo quello che ho pensato, non saprete mai dove sia stata veramente ma conoscerete esattamente le coordinate, la latitudine e la longitudine della mia mappa immaginaria che è lo specchio della mia traballante esistenza.

Noi tutti viviamo seguendo una mappa personale, la voglio chiamare Life map, consumata e logora come quella a cui si attacca con tutte le sue forze un naufrago senza speranze. Su questa mappa immaginaria viene  posizionato in maniera traballante tutto quello che abbiamo, mosso a volte con grande cautela da un punto all'altro. Nella mia Life map io mi trovo al centro, circondata da carta beige che somiglia al deserto in inverno (sempre che nel deserto ci sia l'inverno, e chissà forse c'è). Non lontana da me (la bandierina rossa), collegato da una lunga strada tortuosa piena di curve e salite, c'è il mio lavoro e in quel punto preciso sventola una bandierina nera quando soffia il vento. Vicino a me (il segnaposto rosso) c'è una casa, la mia casa, piena di cose e gente sino a scoppiare, ma in realtà questo non è vero ci abito solo io e la mia inquilina; la casa è molto piccola e io vivo nel sottoscala, ma anche questo non è vero, sto soltanto usando una metafora per descrivere la mancanza di spazio e privacy delle mie giornate. Un altro filo collega la bandiera rossa (io) con una casa lontana in un paese lontano e questo filo  va assottigliandosi sempre di più e un giorno scomparirà del tutto, ed è questo che fa tremare e muovere la mia mappa anche quando non c'è vento e l'inverno  è passato da un pezzo. A destra in alto si trova una bandiera viola a forma di fiore e un filo spesso collega questo fiore (la bandiera viola) con la bandiera rossa (io). Questo è il luogo della mia immaginazione e contiene tutte le mie carte: copioni, storie brevi, storie lunghe, e si trova accanto al  luogo dei sogni, segnato dalla bandierina azzurra, pieno di agenti letterari immaginari, critici, co-autori, e produttori – con alcuni di questi non ho mai parlato; altri mi hanno chiamata ma io non ho risposto; ed altri ancora sono il solo frutto della mia immaginazione e parlo regolarmente con loro di solito quando sono immersa nella vasca da bagno.

Potrei sempre aggiungere cose nuove nella mia Life map ma devo dire che gli amici diminuiscono sempre di più di questi tempi, assottigliandosi come una sfoglia alla crema fatta bene, ed io, devo confessare, ho tempo solo per i miei 'fogli'.


Una volta ho pensato che sarebbe stata una buona idea inserire un piccolo giardino sulla mia mappa, così ci ho infilzato una piccola bandierina verde e ho tracciato la strada che va dalla mia casa a Waterlow Park in Highgate. Ma è come imbrogliare un po' perché in una mappa personale uno dovrebbe avere soltanto cose personali che appartengono solo a te, e i parchi, come tutti sanno, appartengono a tutti. Ma quando vado là la mia panchina è sempre vuota e mi aspetta con i miei fogli e i miei taccuini; anche se devo dire, per essere onesta, che una volta arrivata non scrivo per davvero, annoto soltanto quelle idee che vengono ad importunarmi e trascorro il resto del tempo a guardare gli uccelli e gli alberi, le foglie che si muovono e i rami che crescono. Che bel posto! Piazzato convenientemente tra un supermercato, dove compro i miei sushi e un vecchio caffè dall'aria romantica dove si possono prendere tè e gelati, o entrambi se si vuole, una perfetta combinazione del nuovo con il vecchio che è una vera meraviglia. Ma questo ovviamente non ha niente a che fare con la mia mappa. Attorno al bordo esterno si trovano i miei vecchi amici che curiosano da lontano, ma sono così distanti che se non guardi bene li puoi confondere con i resti di una vecchia cornice. In basso a sinistra ci sono i fantasmi di quelli che una volta erano persone importanti o vecchi amori con le bandiere ridotte a stracci. Lo so che dovrei buttarli nel cestino della carta ma questa decisione la rimando da anni e prima o dopo cadranno da soli, non sono mai stata molto brava a manipolare e ad influenzare gli eventi della mia vita ed è per questo che la mia mappa non è ancora finita e probabilmente rimarrà sempre così, incompleta...senza né nord né sud, senza est o ovest, solo un ammasso di ricordi e bandierine, alcuni dimenticati altri ricordati all'infinito. Ma è la mia Life map e se ne avete una migliore ditemi come fate e magari potrò imparare qualcosa da voi.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

24 ore per morire

Giusto per rimanere in tema con il mio ultimo  post …

Il condannato a morte che se ne frega (di morire)

Enjoy my latest post on 'scribacchiniinfuga.wordpress.com' IL CONDANNATO A MORTE CHE SE NE FREGA (DI MORIRE)

London is changing: where have all the queues gone?

London is changing – where have all the queues gone? After the outburst in my previous article “Brexit and the upheavals of doing a place up in London” to balance things out I want to write about something ‘English’ I really love. Actually there is a lot I like about London, but here I am talking about culture and traditions. Although I remember the time when it was impossible to find a courgette, and broccolis was a swear word – I am talking pre-EU times – I am very fond of the, good, old, very English, queueing system. And why wouldn’t I be, I come from a country where people overtake at any opportunity, not just when they’re driving. My memories of buying something at a busy shop are irremediably linked to waiting, waiting, and more waiting; and by the time I opened my mouth to formulate my request, three or four people had already come in, bought, paid and left: the veni, vidi, vici of modern times. Once upon a time, in London, people queued up for buses